GWLN-6 2024 – 6th Globalex Workshop on Lexicography and Neology – Call for Papers
The sixth iteration of Globalex Workshop on Lexicography and Neology (GWLN-6) will be held in hybrid form in conjunction with the 28th International AFRILEX Conference, in the first week of July 2024, at the University of Pretoria, Pretoria, South Africa.
The aim of the GWLN series is to bring together cross-world views combining the detection, classification, description and evaluation methods of neologisms with lexicographic processing, compilation and representation for different languages. GWLN takes place annually, with support of the Global Alliance for Lexicography (Globalex), alternating in conjunction with the international conferences of the continental associations for lexicography.
The main theme of GWLN-6 is Neologisms, Lexicography, and LLMs, including all types of exchange among large language models, neology, and lexicography. In addition, other papers discussing any pertinent issue related to neologisms – including new words, new multiword units, new elements of word formation, and new meanings of any of these – in the context of lexicography and dictionaries are welcome.
The submissions must highlight the connection between neology and lexicography and will be peer-reviewed by two members of the Scientific Committee. Participants will be invited to submit their papers for publication in a special section of Lexikos, which will be dedicated to GWLN-6.
GWLN-6 will feature an overview of the new COST Action – European Network On Lexical Innovation – ENEOLI (CA22126), whose major challenges are to: (1) Define the core terminology of neology through the creation of a born-digital specialised multilingual glossary; (2) Adapt digital methodologies and tools to identify and account for lexical innovation; (3) Carry out comparative studies on lexical innovation in European languages; and (4) Provide specific training in neology for editors, translators, technical writers, educators, and journalists.
Abstracts including 500-800 words should be submitted to https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=gwln6.
|14.1.2024||deadline for abstract submission|
|09.2.2024||notification of acceptance or rejection|
|23.2.2024||deadline for submission of revised abstract, if relevant|
|08.3.2024||final notification of acceptance or rejection (to the workshop)|
|TBD||submission of full paper|
|TBD||notification of acceptance or rejection|
|TBD||submission of camera-ready copy|
Annette Klosa-Kückelhaus, Leibniz-Institut für Deutsche Sprache, Mannheim
Ilan Kernerman, Lexicala by K Dictionaries, Tel Aviv
Scientific Committee (tentative)
- Andreína Adelstein, Universidad Nacional de General Sarmiento, Argentina
- Ieda Maria Alves, University of São Paulo, Brazil
- Vincent Balnat, Université de Strasbourg, France
- Elisenda Bernal, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Spain
- Pedro Bueno, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Spain
- Anastasia Christofidou, University of Athens, Greece
- Magdalena Coll, Universidad de la República, Uruguay
- Paul Cook, University of New Brunswick, Canada
- Rute Costa, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal
- Victoria de los Ángeles Boschiroli, Universidad Nacional de General Sarmiento, Argentina
- Thierry Fontenelle, European Investment Bank, Luxembourg
- Judit Freixa Aymerich, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Spain
- Yongwei Gao, Fudan University, China
- Kris Heylen, Instituut voor de Nederlandse Taal Leiden, The Netherlands
- John Humbley, Université Paris 13, France
- Hae-Yun Jung, Kyungpook National University, South Korea
- Jelena Kallas, Estonian Language Institute, Estonia
- Amanda Laugesen, Australian National University, Australia
- Katherine Martin, Oxford University Press, UK
- Kilim Nam, Kyungpook National University, South Korea
- Ana Ostroški Anić, Institute of Croatian Language and Linguistics, Croatia
- Misa Otsuka, Jissen Women‘s Junior College, Japan
- Franck Sajous, University of Toulouse 2, France
- Danica Salazar, Oxford English Dictionary, UK
- Ana Salgado, Academia das Ciências de Lisboa, Portugal
- Petra Storjohann, Leibniz-Institut für Deutsche Sprache, Germany
- Giovanni Tallarico, Università di Verona, Italy
- Lars Trap-Jensen, Society for Danish Language and Culture, Denmark
- Anna Vacalopoulou, Institute for Language and Speech Processing / Athena, Greece
Previous GWLN Workshops and Publications
- GWLN-1 was held in conjunction with DSNA 2019 (Bloomington, IN), on site and online. Most of the papers were published as a special issue of Dictionaries. Journal of the Dictionary Society of North America (2020, 41.1).
- GWLN-2 was planned in conjunction with Euralex 2020 (Alexandropoulos), but due to the COVID-19 pandemic it was partially held online (November 2020) and as a special session at Euralex 2020 Online (2021). Selected papers were published as a special issue of International Journal of Lexicography (2021, 3).
- GWLN-3 was held online in conjunction with Australex 2021, with a focus on Coronavirus-related neologisms. Most of the papers are published in a volume of Lexicographica. Series Maior (2022, 163).
- GWLN-4 was held onsite in conjunction with Euralex 2022 (Mannheim). The papers were published online as part of the conference proceedings.
- GWLN-5 was held onsite in conjunction with Asialex 2023 (Seoul). The papers will be published as a special issue of Lexicography. Journal of Asialex (Issue 10.2, December 2023).